Frosty, sandblasted Sea Glass accessories are hot this season in decor. I have been a long time fan of sea glass ever since I made the Sea Glass Mosaic Tray and discovered the multitude of Sea Glass Projects that can be made.
Pottery Barn has sea glass vases this year, for a hefty price $63.50. Of course we all know they aren’t authentic sea glass, but have the beautiful appearance of sea glass. I wanted them badly. And what’s a DIY girl going to do when she wants the look but can’t afford it? She’s going to figure out how to recreate the look herself!
I did! You are not going to believe how easy this is!
DIY SEA GLASS VASES
You will need the following:
- glass vases, bottles, jars, votives ( whatever you like)
- rubbing alcohol
- flat , soft paint brush
- Martha Stewart Crafts Glass Paint in Frost- color Sea Lavender. (found at most craft supply stores) Make sure you buy the GLASS PAINT, which is usually kept in a separate area of the store with other glass paints.
- Clean the glass with soap and water. Dry it. Then clean it again with rubbing alcohol. This removes an residual oil or residue.
- Put a dollop of paint on your brush an start painting your vase in ONE direction. I started my strokes going VERTICALLY from top to bottom. Add more paint to your brush as needed. Continue until covered. TIP: to hold your bottle or vases, place your hand or fingers inside the bottle neck.
- Allow to dry 15 minutes then REPAINT but this time paint in the opposite direction- Horizontally. I found that a second coat covered the glass better and eliminated most brushstrokes. The paint is dishwasher safe if air cured for 21 days or you can follow the baking directions the manufacturer recommends.
I like to save all my glass spice jars and glass jars that scented candles come in. I’ve found them very useful for bud vases and crafts.
Be sure to pin your favorite photo above for future reference and follow me on Pinterest if you like.
You might also enjoy:
Love this post? Let's keep in touch!
Subscribe for free to have Sand and Sisal delivered straight to your inbox.